Wednesday, July 22, 2009

NR Crump General Merchandise










NR Crump General Merchandise sits beside US 60 near the Montgomery/Clark county border. I do not know much about it, so if you have any information, please contact me. I fear it will not last too much longer. The awning fell off a couple years ago, and there is a real estate sign in front of the building now, which means it will probably be torn down soon. I would love to get inside and check it out before that happens. It is locked up tight, but the windows are broken, revealing a ton of stuff left over from it's days in business. Boxes of cigarettes rest on the shelves, along with cans of motor oil and soda bottles. There are two benches in front that I can just imagine the old farmers around the area sitting on... and check out the old hand-operated water pump!






Adding a sense of melancholy is this tiny house beside the building. My guess is that the shopkeeper had a child that played here while the parents worked. I wish I had something like this as a kid! It must have been awesome when it was new. It even had a porch! Inside, there is a child's desk, chair and a baby doll cradle. The child who played with these toys is undoubtedly all grown up by now, leaving her playthings behind.

No comments: