Monday, September 8, 2008

Farmers Airport



When I was about eight years old, my father became a pilot and gave me my first ride in a single-engine plane. A few years ago, he taught me how to fly. We had a lot of fun at this runway, the former Morehead-Farmers Rowan County airport. It was shut down last year and the big, yellow X's were painted over the numbers to signify that it is no longer in use. A new airport opened off of HWY 801 North and from what I have heard, is a safer, nicer strip. The old runway was nestled in the hills and was easy to lose sight of at lower altitudes. Pretty scary for a beginner! It was in a very scenic area, though, and I am really sad that I won't be flying out of here anymore.

Farmers Airport is beside Cave Run Lake, a man-made lake created when the Licking River was dammed in 1973. Acres of farms, homes, and barns were covered. When viewed from above, it is amazing how much of the topography can still be made out under the water. Several graveyards were flooded as well. They say they moved the graves, but that's another post!

The hangar that once housed the planes is now full of hay.

No comments: